Sleep Apnea Alternative Treatment
Snoring is most usually dismissed as an annoyance, but it can be a sign of a very serious condition known as obstructive sleep apnea. Snoring is caused by the tongue falling backward fully or partially, creating a blocked airway. The body then struggles to obtain air, and this causes the vibration we call snoring. Much of the time the body will continue to get just enough air so there will be very little harm. However, this condition is one of the signs that sleep apnea could be right around the corner. Statistics show that apnea episodes can occur from 6 to 100 times per hour. The feeling of exhausted when you wake up, as though they haven’t really been sleeping, is usually caused by this oxygen deprivation. It’s no wonder you feel tired, achy, and irritable, as you've spent most of the night fighting for air. The lower oxygen levels also put a strain on the heart. Many sufferers of sleep apnea find themselves using a CPAP machines to assist in the management of their breathing. Studies show that only about 50% of patients have success with CPAP, due to their inability to tolerate the machine.
Now, oral appliances can assist in reducing the health risks associated with apnea without surgery or medication. There is a high success rate for people treated with these appliances.
Some conditions linked to sleep apnea are:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Inability to lose weight
- Heart attack
- Poor quality of life
- Increase healthcare costs
Are you tired of your CPAP?
People spend one third of their lives sleeping! We simply cannot live without it. Memory, immune system function and daytime energy are all directly linked to sleep. It is estimated that up to 90,000,000 people in North America suffer from a sleep disorder. Are you one of them?
What can a small dental appliance do for Sleep Apnea?
- Ensure a good night sleep for your partner in the same room.
- Help prevent heart disease, sudden cardiac death, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes, depression, memory loss and even erectile dysfunction.
- Help prevent driving and work- related accidents caused by the excessive daytime sleepiness
- Provided an alternative for the more than 75% of people with sleep apnea who cannot tolerate or would rather not use a CPAP device